All Rad Power Bikes ebikes sold in North America are equipped with two ways for a rider to use power assistance from the motor to propel the bike forward with or without pedaling: a pedal assist system, and a twist throttle.
Click on a heading below to learn more about the motor controls and operation on your bike.
The rider can engage the pedal assist system (PAS) while pedaling, and it will call up assistance from the motor to help make pedaling easier.
Pedal assist uses a cadence sensor built into the drivetrain of the bike. The sensor detects when the rider revolves the pedals and signals the electric motor to provide the level of pedal assistance (PAS 0-5 on most models and 0-4 on the RadRunner and RadMission) that has been selected.
Pedal Assist Controls
Ride with Pedal Assist
You will use the arrows on the LCD display remote on the left side of the handlebar to select a level of pedal assistance (between level 0 through 5 on most models and 0 through 4 on the RadRunner). Level 1 is the lowest level of pedal assistance, and level 5 is the highest level of pedal assistance. Level 0 indicates pedal assistance is inactive. Start in PAS level 0 or 1 and adjust from there.
- Practice without obstacles. Ensure you are firmly mounted on the bike and ready to ride with power assist before starting to pedal. Hold onto the handlebar with both hands and be prepared to squeeze the brake levers if necessary.
- Start in pedal assist level 1. “PAS 1” is the default PAS level, and you can increase the pedal assist level from there as conditions allow.
- Begin pedaling. Once you begin pedaling, the cadence sensor will activate the motor after 1-2 seconds.
- Ride Rad! When you stop pedaling and do not squeeze the brake levers, there is a 1-2 second delay before pedal assist shuts off. This is to reduce the pedal assist power surging on and off whenever you stop pedaling momentarily (to adjust your foot on the pedals or your seating position, for example).
- Turn off pedal assist. Stop pedaling (pedal assist power will remain active for a few seconds after you stop pedaling) or squeeze the brake levers to cut the power assistance off immediately.
The throttle is located on the right side of the handlebar. The rider can use it, with a twist of the throttle grip, to propel the bike forward without pedaling. On models released in 2020, the throttle is available when the bike is on.
To engage the throttle while riding, carefully rotate it toward yourself. The more you twist, the more powerfully the throttle will propel the bike forward. Once you release the throttle or apply the brakes, the power assistance will cut off, and the throttle will no longer propel the bike forward. Always keep one hand on the brake lever and be prepared to squeeze the lever to disengage the throttle if needed, or turn off the bike to prevent accidentally engaging the throttle.
Ride with Throttle
- Practice without obstacles. Ensure you are firmly mounted on the bike and ready to use the throttle. Hold onto the handlebar with both hands and be prepared to squeeze the brake levers to disengage the throttle if necessary.
- Engage the throttle. If riding a 2019 or earlier model, press the throttle power button next to the throttle, then slowly twist the throttle grip toward the rider. If riding a 2020 model, the throttle is always available and is engaged by twisting the throttle grip toward the rider.
Note: On models released in 2019 and earlier, the throttle is available when the bike is on and the throttle power button to the left of the throttle has been pressed in. If throttle power switch button is pressed again (so it pops out a bit), the throttle will deactivate and cannot be engaged—intentionally or accidentally—by twisting the throttle grip.
- Increase speed. Increase the throttle power and your speed by further twisting the throttle toward the rider.
- Ride Rad! Ride carefully and be prepared to release the throttle grip to its original position or squeeze the brake levers to stop.
- Turn off throttle. Release the throttle grip or squeeze the brake levers to cut the power assistance off immediately.
Turn the Pedal Assistance Level to 0
Pressing the down arrow (or minus button) on the display remote until the display reads pedal assistance zero ("PAS 0") ensures the pedal sensor will not trigger power assistance when the pedals revolve.
Prevent Throttle Activation
Models released in 2020: The throttle is available to use whenever the bike is on and can be activated by twisting the throttle grip toward the rider. Turn off the bike, or take care to not accidentally twist the throttle when not needed.
Models released in 2019 or earlier: The throttle is available when the bike is on and the throttle power button to the left of the throttle has been pressed in. If the throttle button is pressed again (so it pops out a bit), the throttle will deactivate and cannot be engaged—intentionally or accidentally—by twisting the throttle grip.
Apply the Brakes
Pulling one or both brake levers while operating the throttle or pedal assist will activate a motor cutoff switch that will cut off all electrical power assistance to the bike automatically.
Turn off the bike
Riders can power OFF the ebike's electrical system by pressing and holding the MODE button on the display remote for about three seconds until the LCD display turns off. This will allow the rider to use the bike as a pedal-only bike and will prevent accidental use of the pedal assist or throttle.
All ebikes by Rad Power Bikes have a walk mode.
Walk mode is a feature that allows the motor to move the bike at a relatively slow, constant speed so that a person can walk next to the bike with their hands on the handlebar, without having to push the full weight of the bike. This can be very helpful when walking the bike up a steep hill (over 15% grade).
For more information on riding on hilly terrain, please see the Help Center article linked HERE.
Activate Walk Mode
- Stand next to the bike. Begin dismounted from the bike and take hold of the right handlebar grip and brake lever.
- Press and hold the down arrow on the remote. On the LCD Display Remote on the left side of the handlebar, press and hold the down arrow (below, left) or the button on the LED display (below, right) for the entire time you want to use walk mode. Walk mode may take a moment to start providing motor assistance.
- Release the button on the remote to turn off walk mode. Let go of the down arrow, or walk mode button on the LED display, and motor assistance will stop immediately.
Click HERE to learn more about the motors Rad Power Bikes uses.